Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Leader C recounts his 2009 Boston Marathon experience

From: Chia Wee Boon
To: ABC runners
Sent: Friday, 24 April 2009 3:07:41
Subject: A very long story about my Boston Marathon race on 20 Apr 09

Hi everybody, I am very proud to share with you yet another Boston experience.

Ten years ago, I ran my first marathon. And in one conversation with Kheng Hua immediately after that, I told him that my life-time target was to run 10 marathons and I could then retire.

On Monday 20 Apr 09, I achieved that target. Here is an account of my experience in the cool (45 to 50deg F - 7 to 10 deg C) and windy city of Boston. In comparison to the first Boston back in 2006, this is similar and yet very different.

The day before the race, I attended a seminar of illustrious Runners’ World editors and amongst them the editor at large and winner of 1968 Boston Marathon, Amby Burfoot. His advice was simple: It is largely downhill from Hopkinton to Mile 17 and that’s when real running starts. He strongly advocated “control” – pace, stride, enthusiasm. I took that to heart and tried to follow his advice. But it was very difficult. “If you do not control, the first things that are going to go are your quads,” Burfoot said.

If you wish to read the full article, email to angyongguan@gmail.com. I will send the whole article as an attachment to you

No comments:

Post a Comment