Thursday, September 24, 2009

Leader A's essay wins a prize in Standard Chartered Marathon Inspirational Stories Competition

Essay by Dr Ang Yong Guan
Dr Ang Yong Guan

I took part in my first Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon in 2007 at 52 years old. I have since, within less than 2 years, taken part in 4 other marathons. When my patients look at my body, they couldn’t believe that I am a marathoner. I use my marathon race to emphasize to my patients the importance of keeping fit. It’s not about competing but completing. Focusing on completing and not competing takes the stress away from the race and make is so enjoyable. I usually armed myself with a camera during the race to snap pictures along the way; prompting one fellow runner to call me a “tourist marathoner”. I will continue to envision the joy on reaching the end-point, relax during the run and be positive in my thinking throughout. My 3 points can be summed up with the three letters: ERP (i.e. Envision, Relax and be Positive).

No comments:

Post a Comment